What are they?
• An electronic element of a home heating a cooling system that controls the temperature of the house more effectively than a traditional thermostat, and can be controlled by the homeowner
• A small element in a larger “smart” home heating system and eventually an entire smart energy grid
How do they work?
• Uses microprocessors and other components to adjust the temperature at different times of day
• Many of them also use wifi to be controlled by homeowners
• Can more accurately control temperatures to reduce heating and cooling wastage, which is a large part of many home energy bills
• Government is currently offering a smart thermostat for $100 for homeowners